THIS HOLIDAY SEASON….make a joyful noise!
Stuff a turkey, pack a shoebox, fill a stocking…in Jesus’ name.
These opportunities are simply suggestions of ways your family can be generous this holiday season. By no means do we expect you to do all of them! Prayerfully consider one of these options that you may feel called to participate in as a way your family can make a joyful noise in Jesus’ name. Or make your own music with an independent choice elsewhere!
Download the 2017 Holiday Brochure version or see info below:
Stark County Area Churches
Goal – 1,500+ meals
Begins weekend of October 21 & 22
Ends November 23
RiverTree partners with several local churches to serve together and make an impact in Stark County by providing Thanksgiving meals to those in need. First Christian Church has been leading this initiative, starting in 1993 with 100 meals. It has grown to include six church, serving nearly 10,000 meals in 2016.
This will be the 11th year for RiverTree to be involved. RiverTree is planning for 1,500+ meals to come from just our kitchen alone!
Ways to be involved:
- Donate food at RiverTree Jackson. We need cooked turkeys, pies and cookies.
- Drop off food. Tuesday, November 21 all day and Wednesday, November 22 by 10AM
- Prepare & pack food Wednesday, November 22 / RiverTree Jackson
- Drive to deliver the meals Thursday, November 23 / RiverTree Jackson
- Donate money to buy food for holiday meals! Make check out to RiverTree with Holiday Meals on memo line. Drop it in the offering bag!
Operation Christmas Child
Samaritan’s Purse, Boone, NC
Goal – 1,450 Boxes
Begins weekend of November 8 & 9
Return filled shoeboxes by November 19
Operation Christmas Child (OCC) brings joy and hope to children in desperate situations around the world through gift-filled shoeboxes and the Good News of God’s love. This program of Samaritan’s Purse provides an opportunity for people of all ages to be involved in a simple, hands on missions project while focusing on the true meaning of Christmas.
Ways to Be Involved:
- Purchase (or provide your own) shoebox gift. Fill the shoebox with recommended items. Return to RiverTree Jackson by November 19.
- Contribute financially for shipping costs.
- Help pack shoeboxes for shipping. Details at table – RiverTree Jackson.
- Host a Shoebox Missional Party
Visit the OCC table for additional information, questions or to drop off your donations or…
*Are you a part of another local congregation planning to drop off shoeboxes to RiverTree? Please contact Ellie Maas first or take your 2017 boxes to First United Methodist Church.
Stark County Children Services
Goal – 450 Stockings
Begins weekend of November 18 & 19
Return filled stockings by December 10
Project KARE’s annual Christmas project is coordinated by of Stark County Department of Job & Family Services. The mission is to provide gifts and clothing to children who otherwise might not receive anything at Christmas. Donors are provided gender, age of child and a list of gift ideas.
Those who are too busy to shop for a gift, but wish to help, can make cash donations. These donations are needed for gift certificates for teenagers, emergency gifts, and for those children who were not otherwise adopted for Christmas.
Ways to Be Involved:
- Pack a Christmas stocking. To pick up a stocking and more information about the children’s ages and some tips on what to buy, go to the Project KARE table. Filled stockings due by December 10 & 11.
- Make a cash donation to fill a stocking. Any amount is acceptable. Turn in at the Project KARE table.
To sign up to help or for more information, email [email protected]
Adopt a Family
Community Christmas / RiverTree Benevolence Team
Goal – 40 Families / Children
Begins weekend of November 11/12
Return Gifts by December 2/3
Families in financial distress in our church and throughout our community will be able to enjoy Christmas. This is a great opportunity for RiverTree partners, families and GoCommunities to adopt a family/child who may otherwise not have any Christmas at all!
Ways to Be Involved:
• Adopt A Family/Child for Christmas
Stop by the Adopt A Family/Child table. You will be provided with an anonymous description (ages, gender, clothes sizes and any special needs) of a qualifying family who needs your help. The requested gift expenditure is $25 per person and Christmas dinner. You can choose among families of different sizes and situations and then shop to make their Christmas a special one.
You can also leave a message on the Benevolence Team voicemail 330.494.1860, ext 217 and we will contact you to provide you with just the right family to adopt.
• Donate Toys (new or gently used) Drop off at the Adopt A Family Table. These will be used for the children who do not get adopted.
To volunteer or for more information, email Kelly Stein or call 330.494.1860, ext 217.
Please remember our other partners as well:
Christian Children’s Home of Ohio: Donate online at ccho.org or send a check to Christian Children’s Home of Ohio, PO Box 765, Wooster, OH 44691. Interested in serving? Contact Jess Adkins. Or for more info email [email protected] or 330.345.7949.
Accepting the following donations: infant clothing 0-3 mo, new bottles/nipples, teethers/rattles, toiletries, crib sheets, pacifers, hooded towels/washcloths
Refuge of Hope: Donate online at refugeofhope.org or send a check to Refuge of Hope Ministries, P.O. Box 9361, Canton, OH 44711.